David B. Mitchell, Esq. holds the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell's international lawyers’ reference, and is a member of the Florida Bar and its Family Law Section. He also holds a Superb rating from Avvo. He is a recipient of the distinguished service award from the Dade County Bar Association for his past service as volunteer counsel in the Guardian Ad Litem program and recently served as the vice-chair of the Association's County Courts Committee. Mr. Mitchell is also a long-standing member of the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies.
A past president of the Coral Gables Bar Association in 2005, he was the recipient of its President's Award and received the annual Put Something Back award from the Dade County Bar Association for voluntary efforts. He is a life member of the Florida Council of Voluntary Bar Association Presidents.
Mr. Mitchell is a two-time recipient of the Key to the City of Coral Gables in recognition of his significant contribution to improving the quality of life of his community where he has served as the past president of the Ponce de Leon Development Association. Immediate past president of the Rotary Club of Coral Gables, he is a Benefactor of the Rotary International Foundation, member of the Bequest Society and a Paul Harris Fellow.
Mr. Mitchell also served two terms as president of Coral Gables Citizens' Crime Watch, and was appointed by the mayor of the City of Coral Gables to serve on both the City-Wide Anti-Crime Committee and Public Safety Committee, two municipal advisory boards which he chaired. Mr. Mitchell is also a member for many years of the Coral Gables Community Foundation, the leading charitable organization in the city.
He is the immediate past president of the Miami Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution, and is a member of the Jamestowne Society, the Order of the Crown of Charlemagne in the United States, the Baronial Order of Magna Charta, the Royal Society of St. George in England, and numerous genealogical and historical research societies. He authored The Magna Charta and the American Revolution which appeared in the national heritage publication, Flintlock & Powderhorn, in 2005.
A graduate of Leadership Miami, he has served on the boards of numerous civic and charitable organizations. Since 1999, Mr. Mitchell is listed in every edition of "Who's Who in American Law" and "Who's Who in America."
A strong proponent of alternative methods for the resolution of disputes, Mr. Mitchell has been a Florida Supreme court- certified family and county court mediator since 1991. Having mediated hundreds of family court cases, he is also a Florida Supreme Court-qualified arbitrator and currently mediates homeowner insurance disputes for the Florida Department of Financial Services. Mr. Mitchell mediated and arbitrated dozens of consumer claims as part of the nation-wide Prudential Insurance class-action settlement, a pioneering nation-wide program.
Areas of Practice
• 90% Family Law
• Child Support
• Custody & Visitation
• 10% Alternative Dispute Resolution
• 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
• Family Court Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 1991
• County Court Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 2003
• Arbitrator, State and Federal Courts, Florida Supreme Court, 1995
• Mediator, Florida Department of Financial Services, 1992
• Prudential Life Insurance National Class Action Remediation Program, Florida Claims Appeal Arbitrator, 1999
• Florida, 1979
• U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1979
• U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
• U.S. Tax Court, 1986
Stetson University College of Law, Gulfport, Florida
• J.D. - 1978
University of Miami
• B.A. - 1973
• Honors: Dean's List
University of Oxford, Oxford, England
• Advanced Diploma in Local History - March, 2011
• Honors: With Distinction
• "Magna Carta and the American Revolution", Flintlock & Powderhorn, Spring, 2005
• "Magna Carta and the American Bill of Rights", Baronial Order of Magna Charta Quarterly, Spring, 2010
• Strategies for Family Law in Florida (2012), Thomson Reuters/Aspatore, 2012
• "George Washington: The First Administration", Flintlock & Powderhorn, Winter, 2012
• Temporary Alimony and Child Support, Miami-Dade County Bar Association, 2009
Honors and Awards
• Phi Delta Phi
• Who's Who In American Law, 2003 - Present
• Who's Who In America, 2005 - Present
• Martindale-Hubbell's Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers, 2003 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Coral Gables Bar Association, President, 2003 - 2004
• Dade County Bar Association, President, Family Court Committee, 1990 - Present
• Dade County Bar Association, Vice-Chairman, County Court Committee, 2003 - 2004
• Federal Bar Association
• The Florida Bar, Family Law Section, Member, 1990 - Present
• The Florida Bar, Art and Entertainment Law Section, Chairman, 1980 - 1981
• Florida Council of Voluntary Bar Association Presidents
• First Family Law American Inns of Court, 2007 - Present
• Florida Academy of Professional Mediators
• The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
• Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Courts, Mediator, 1991 - Present
• Florida Department of Financial Services, Mediator, 1992 - Present
• Florida Claims Appeal Arbitrator
• Prudential Life Insurance National Class Action Remediation Program, 1999 - 2000
• Coral Gables Citizens' Crime Watch, President, 2001 - 2003
• Coral Gables City-Wide Anti-Crime Committee, Mayoral Appointee, 2001 - 2005
• Coral Gables City-Wide Anti-Crime Committee, Chairman, 2005
• Coral Gables Emergency Operations Department, Mayoral Appointee, 2005
• Coral Gables Public Safety Committee, Mayoral Appointee
• Coral Gables Public Safety Committee, Chairman, 2006 - 2007
• Miami Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution, President, 2006
• Rotary Club of Coral Gables, President, 2007 - 2008
Pro Bono Activities
• Volunteer Children's Guardian Ad Litem, 1991 - Present
• Phi Delta Phi
Family Law Practice Areas
• Child Custody & Time Sharing
• Child Support
• Domestic Violence
• Prenuptial Agreements
• Collaborative Law
• Property Division
• High Net Worth Divorce
• Pension & Retirement
• Business Valuation
• Professional Practices & Businesses
About David B Mitchell
When you have to hire an attorney to help you resolve disputes within your family, it is essential that you choose a legal professional who is experienced both in the law and in offering personalized services to a wide variety of families.
I am attorney David B Mitchell, and I have more than 30 years of experience helping families navigate the complexities of divorce, including modifications and enforcement. At my firm, the Law Office of David B Mitchell, I encourage my clients to consider the benefits of collaborative law or mediation. Even as a certified family mediator, I firmly believe in the power of litigation, but it is not always necessary. In today's family law climate, most couples can benefit greatly from working together in an effort to create an agreement that suits their unique needs and goals for the future.
While divorce has become very common, the stigma surrounding it is still highly negative. Many of my clients, especially those dealing with high net worth divorce, prefer to work efficiently and quickly as they dissolve their marriage in a discreet fashion. As we develop your personal legal strategy, I will help you consider both your family's immediate needs and your long-term goals, including how best to serve the development of your children.
No two families are alike. It is my job to take the time to get to know your family dynamic in a holistic sense as I provide you with the practical information you need to make intelligent decisions about your situation.
I take a practical, yet compassionate approach to each of my clients. I understand that you are facing difficult emotions and concerns. I am dedicated to helping you sift through your issues and develop a commonsense plan to provide you with a sustainable future. I have worked with a large number of families throughout the years. My commitment to developing strong relationships and offering personalized attention has always remained my highest priority.
Contact David B Mitchell
To learn more about my firm and speak with an experienced matrimonial and family law lawyer, email me or call today
Request an Appointment
Message Sent. Thank you for contacting us. We will be in touch with you shortly.
|Mon - Fri:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
- Martindale-Hubbell Rated
- Avvo Rated
- President's Award
- Top Lawyer In South Florida (2016)
- Qualified Parenting Coordinator
- Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Dade County Bar Association
- Coral Gables Bar Association, Former President
- County Courts Committees, Former Vice Chair
- Gables Lawyer, Editor In Chief
- Guardian Ad Litem Program, Volunteer
- Federalist Society For Law And Public Policy Studies